- Resources and Reviews
See separate page on Mac OS X Resources
- Also see our links to articles on related aspects of promoting a website.
- When I started my House MD site, I wanted to check the statistics better than I had for any previous website. I stumbled on a lovely stat checker called Web-Stats:
- They offer a free month long trial. After just over a week, I decided that I had to have the Premiem membership for the page views it offers. But the part I use the most is the last 100 visitors. It tells me what page they came into my site using, where they came from and if it was a search engine what search term they used to get that page. So, if I have a better page for that term, I just adjust the content of the two pages to be sure that future visitors get the page they want. And I can follow trends, find out exactly when someone is linking to me, etc. With the page views, I can also track the exact path taken by each of the last 100 visitors. And using another section, I can track what the average person clicks on from any page in my site to see what their next page view is likely to be. Then using the techniques I discuss in this site, I can adjust the site to better serve my viewers. Note: Choose "No" for the visible hit counter. No one believes a hit counter anyway.
- Some of the books, I find especially useful
- New Edition (August 2006)
HTML for the World Wide Web with XHTML and CSS: Visual QuickStart
Guide, Sixth Edition Elizabeth Castro (a Visual Quickstart Guide from Peachpit Press)
- I have owned dozens of HTML books. Some really thick and expensive. This is the only one I use. The thing is that I don't have a memory to speak of. So if I haven't used a particular code in a few months, I'm not totally sure if I remember it right. So I turn to this thin, inexpensive book to check and I usually go right to the code I want. Good index and quick explanation and sample of the code. Not excessive explanations. Most books in the Visual Quick Start series are good but this is the best of them. Also good for a beginner. This book will also be availabe from Amazon UK.
Some websites, you might want to check out
- MIS, Inc. - This is the company I work for. We are a large firm (for Albuquerque) with a wide variety of skills
- Website Promotion & Search engine Optimization (SEO): Provides website promotion, search engine optimization and submissions with traffic hit packages
- ReallyBig.com - more than 5000 resources for web builders including free clip art, CGI scripts, tutorials, counters, fonts, html, java, animation, backgrounds, icons, wysiwyg editors, buttons, photographs, site promotion, and much more.
- Affordable Website Promotion & Ranking Services: Engaged in website promotion and website optimization services with results.
The best software
This item ships FREE with Super Saver Shipping.